Thursday, April 8, 2010

How we pray

Star Wars was one of my best movies as a child, and as an adult. As a child I dreamed of becoming a Jedi Knight, swishing my light sabre about, killing all the bad aliens set on invading our planet. Fast forward till recent time. It seems my dreams have been answered- or at least partly. It seems I can become a Jedi Knight after all. I kid you not. It seems just like Star Trek formed an entire Klingon language and following, Star Wars has sprung it's own religion. It is call The Jedi Religion or Jedism. In short their belief is 'One all powerful force that binds all things in the universe together.'

Now, you could not be blamed, like I did, for thinking this was a bit of a joke. Having done some research it became amusing and an eye opener. Figures gained from a census conducted in these countries reflected the following- in New Zealand there are some 53 000 Jedi's (the 3rd biggest religion), in Australia-70 000, Canada-55 000 and the UK- 404 174- making it the 4th largest religion. Surprised- I was to say the least.

In the USA figures are not available, but an internet search showed chapters in dozens of US towns and cities, from which I am sure we can deduce there are also hundreds of thousands of followers.

As they say, sometimes fact is stranger than fiction..

No comments:

Post a Comment