Thursday, December 1, 2011

Brilliant Advert



The latest You Tube sensation is the advert by Nando's depicting Mugabe as being alone this Christmas as all his fellow dictator friends are dead. This ad is filled with memories of Mugabe with various 'friends' like Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddafi.


To me the advert is both fresh, offensive and brilliant. Now don't get me wrong, it is far from offensive to me. I have no time for Mugabe nor his followers. They however are calling for people to boycott Nando's worldwide. Having said this, who but those in Zimbabwe really take Mugabe's followers seriously so I am sure Nando's are not going to worry to much about lost revenue there. Mugabe is a ruthless dictator who has killed thousands of his own people and hung on to power despite losing an election, so why should we feel sorry when a bit of fun is thrown his way. He can make the insults but thinks he is above receiving them. The ad is also pretty close to the truth, which makes it a good political message. 


The Nando's chain is known for it's fresh and often controversial advertising. (Freedom of speech is a bitch). I hope they keep it up. 

I recommend looking the ad up on You Tube and have a chuckle.

(As a late note- Nando's pulled the Ad. Very sad they had to buckle. )


No comments:

Post a Comment