Friday, December 2, 2011

Nickelback-Here and Now review



After waiting for years after Dark Horse, I was more than exited when I read the brilliant news that Nickelback was due to release a new album. The months dragged, but finally I was able to get my grubby hands on the new offering by this classic rock band.

I am a Nickelback fan, a massive one, so granted this review of their latest album, 'Here and Now' may be slightly biased. I have Nickelback's CD's from 'The Curb' till 'Here and Now'. As a band, their music has grown, yet still kept their brilliant raw rock sounds. In a world where there are plastic tastes of people who idolize Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga with their catchy plastic pop that they try to pass off as music, good rock bands are always welcome. Brilliant ones are treasured. 

'Here and Now' is a great mix of real rock and haunting rock ballads. (It is my view, that nobody pulls off ballads better than rock bands). 
The album is also a mix of messages. The first release, 'When we stand together' has a strong message to the world about the less fortunate and a call to do something about it.

The album kicks off with 'This means war'. A raw rocks song with heavy guitar and drum beats. 
'Bottoms up' will become a drinking anthem, and rightly so. 
Then there are the usual good tongue in cheek lyrics, as in 'Midnight queen' and 'Gotto get me some'. All good, solid rock songs with catchy choruses and lyrics, accompanied by great guitar work and pounding drums. Some lines will bring a smirk to your mouth. Nickelback are one of those bands that brings a strong message through, despite the subtle humour in some of their songs. Many criticize them for their lyrics, but I see them as being what people think about or can relate to.  

However, I have to admit that the slower songs top my list. 'Lullaby' is haunting. 'Everything I wanna do' and 'Trying not to love you' are also well written, well performed rock ballads. As a lyricist myself, I appreciate good lyrics, and these guys know how to write brilliant love songs. I adore love songs, and Nickelback pull them off splendidly. 

The guitar work over the entire album is something to behold as is Chad's gravel voice, which brings so much emotion to the slower songs and a real rock sound to the heavier songs. 

As I said, I am a NB fan, and am proud of it. They are one of the few brilliant rock bands who do not pretend to be anything else. 'Here and Now' is worth buying and listening to over and over. 


No comments:

Post a Comment